Tuesday 20 March 2018

Is there anything better than this?

"No better life than the life we living"
"No better you than the you that you are"

These are the platitudes of Alessia Cara's "Scars to your Beautiful" where she insists you have nothing to change about yourself - let the world change for you - because there is nothing better than what you are right now.

I cannot think of a more depressing, demotivating message in all the world.  And it is utter nonsense.

My very problem is that I know I have squandered my potential.  I know I have not lived up to all that life has to offer.  I know that I could have done better.  But I have "halfed it" - I did it - Me - I'm responsible - and I've lied to myself about it.  I don't need Alessia Cara to help me.

Is there anything better than this?

Yes.  There is - and you've been made for it.  This is why you want it.  Why its transcendent beauty attracts you.  You were created for a far better life than this - one of truth - one of peace - and there is One who is working to bring it back to you.

He truly had no better life than the life He was living - up in heaven.  But for you and for your salvation He came down from heaven, entered your life, became human just like you - and faced all your troubles and enemies and failures and wasted opportunities.  He came to collect all the shortcomings and the lies and the guilt and the shame - and put it into death where it belongs...  but it cost Him.  It cost Him His life.

Jesus is the new humanity.  He is your new life of fulfilled potential.  Risen from the dead, He is all that life has to offer.  He is "the better" we all should have done - yet He is not your competitor - He is a gift - your ally - your champion and friend - who did all He did only for you, and not for Himself.  He is the One who has truly lived every human moment for other people, and even in His death gives the whole credit of His life to you - as a gift - for free.  You are forgiven.  Yes, you "halfed it," you are responsible, you lied to yourself - but Jesus forgives you - and gives you His truth - His honesty - His perfect life and promises you are free.

Free.

Free to walk with Him.  Free to pick up the heavy load in your life, and follow Him - knowing it matters - it is not wasteful - but will set the world straight as He guides your feet in truth's path.  I can admit it - I have failed.  But I can trust it - He forgives me, and sets my feet on the path of new life in Him.  In Jesus' name, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment